2018 Space Elevator Conference Press Releases
Post-Conference Press Release Available for Download
August 2, 2018–Redmond
Please feel free to download and disseminate the final press release (PDF format) for the 2011 Space Elevator Conference. See you next year!
NASA $2M Prize Competition to Stream Live This Friday
August 10, 2018–Redmond
Plan to watch live and online this year’s NASA Centennial Challenge – Strong Tether Competition, where a winner, if their tether is strong enough, could win the $2 million dollar prize. Event is scheduled for 4 PM (PDT) this Friday and will be available here (quick URL is: http://ustre.am/mr2f).
Press Release Available for Download
August 2, 2018–Redmond
Please feel free to download and disseminate the latest press release (PDF format).
Space Elevator and Conference Coverage in RedmondReporter.COM
August 2, 2018–Redmond
Check out the coverage of our press release in the online version of the Redmond Reporter.
Space Elevator and Conference Coverage on the New Day Northwest show on Seattle’s King 5
July 18, 2018–Seattle
David Horn and Maurice Franklin joined Margaret Larson to talk more about the conference, the space elevator, and give a demonstration of the tether strength machine. Check out the segment on King5.com.
2018 Space Elevator Conference to Host Exciting Family Science Fest
July 6, 2018–Redmond
New this year the Space Elevator Conference will host a free Family Science Fest, on Saturday, August 13, 2018, from 1 PM to 5 PM, also at the Microsoft Conference Center in Redmond. A highlight of the day will be RoboQuest, with family and youth focused events including:
- A robotics competition with robots taking satellites up an elevator ribbon
- Exhibits from the Pacific Science Center on engineering, space exploration and nanotechnology
- The Museum of Flight’s “Robot Garage” where you can test your rover building skills
- LEGO Build Zone where kids of all ages can build futuristic spacecraft using just their imagination
- Robot demonstrations by area robotics team
- A life-size, working replica of R2-D2
- And more
And for those interested in learning more about the Space Elevator but unable to attend the 3-day Technical Program, we’ll also have two SE 101 sessions during the Family Science Fest. In these one-hour sessions, followed by Q&A, you’ll gain insight into the opportunities and challenges of building a Space Elevator. The first session on Saturday will start at 1:30, the second at 3:30. Also, on the preceding Thursday, August 11, there will be an SE 101 session from 7 PM to 8 PM at the same location.
More details on the Family Science Fest web page.
Groundbreaking Nanotechnology Researchers to Present at 2018 Space Elevator Conference
June 18, 2018–Redmond
The Space Elevator Conference is pleased to announce the that leading edge nanotechnology researchers will be presenting at this year’s conference:
- Dr. Boris I. Yakobson
- Presentation title: A few answers to Rajasinghe: Carbon bonds, limits of growth, bounds of strength…
- Position: Karl F. Hasselmann Chair of Engineering, Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science and Professor of Chemistry, Rice University
- Dr. Vesselin Shanov
- Presentation title: Recent Progress in Synthesis, Processing, and Application Of Carbon Nanotube Materials
- Position: Associate Professor at the School of Energy, Environmental, Biological and Medical Engineering, University of Cincinnati
- Dr. Vasilii Artyukhov
- Presentation title: Making and breaking graphitic nanocarbon: insights from computer simulations
- Position: Postdoctoral Research Associate at Rice University
Drs. Yakobson, Shanov and Artyukhov will be presenting these papers during the Friday, August 12 Tethers Session.
Space Elevator Coverage in July 2018 Issue of National Geographic Magazine
June 15, 2018–Redmond
The Space Elevator Conference is proud to have provided assistance to National Geographic Magazine for their Next column in the July 2011 issue of National Geographic, with the topic of “Space Elevator“. The printed issue will be on newsstands soon.
2018 Space Elevator Conference Announcement and Call for Papers
February 28, 2018–Redmond
The Space Elevator Conference organizing committee has announced the 2018 Space Elevator Conference. The conference will be held August 12th through August 14th, 2011, at the Microsoft Conference Center, Redmond, Washington. The committee is also making a Call for Papers to be presented at the conference.
Please feel free to download a copy of the announcement and call for papers for disseminating and posting as you would like:
- 2018 SE Conf Announce and Call for Papers.doc
Contact information regarding these press releases, press passes and all other issues regarding the conference can be found on the Contacts Page.